Today, there are a whole lot of ways on how you can produce files of different kinds: office documents for printing, photos for presentations or personal snapshots, music files you downloaded or recorded yourself, and the like. Technology has made it possible to easily make files. But where do you store all of them when your device memory is brimming with digital information?
This when knowing how to backup data online is a must. Should something ever happen to your device or storage options such as flash drives and memory cards, you can still access your data when you back them up online.
Steps on How to Backup Data Online
The first thing you ought to determine is the service provider you will be entrusting your data to. You can check out their services and keep your eyes on the following features:
- What kinds of files will they allow you to save?
- Do they have a set limit of space for files you can store?
- Can you access your files offline or on multiple devices?
- Do they offer free or paid storage services?
These are the most important factors in choosing an online storage provider. There are a lot of different providers you can choose from and each of them has their own pros and cons. Free service providers can offer great services and a lot of people use them for personal purposes. If, however, you will be storing highly important, sensitive work-related files, you need to consider paid services because they give your files a better security.
Once you have chosen your storage service provider, you can then organize the files you will be backing up. To help you with this process, consider the following tips:
- Choose the most important files first. You can save your work documents first, followed by your most important personal files. For your personal files, you may consider saving videos first, and then photos, depending on the size of your files.
- Consider compressing your files. Say you have a lot of files to save and you can’t decide which ones are more important. You can save them in a compressed folder first and then upload these folders to save on space. This is a great tip if you have free or limited storage.
- Organize your files. You can access these files more easily if you save them in organized folders or when you use tagging features for file saving. If you have a lot of files to save, tagging or categorizing in folders can help you find the files you need much faster.
You can choose from many online storage providers and follow the tips above. Alternatively, you can also try these tips:
- Upload photos to your social media albums and set them as private.
- Save your documents in your email drafts as attachments.
- Sign up for several accounts using different email addresses to “get more space” for free.
Have you ever tried any of these online storage methods or tips? Share your experiences in the comments section!